Not everyone who thinks about suicide will tell someone and there are some people who give no indication at all of their intention. However, there are warning signs that we can all look out for. These include, if a person is:
- Talking or writing about death, dying or suicide.
- Actively looking for ways to kill themselves.
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live.
- Talking about being a burden to others.
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs.
- Suddenly very much ‘recovered’ after a period of depression.
- Visiting or calling people unexpectedly to say goodbye either directly or indirectly.
- Making arrangements; setting their affairs in order.
- Giving things away, such as prized possession.